[Gambas-user] distributing gambas application

Benoit Minisini gambas at ...1...
Sat May 29 20:04:02 CEST 2004

On Saturday 29 May 2004 16:49, Rob wrote:
> On Saturday 29 May 2004 07:18, Benoit Minisini wrote:
> > installed. The "gambas" package will be made by distribution
> > maintainers, and will include all the needed stuff to run a
> > gambas project (gbx, gbi, gbc, gba, the *.info files, the
> > components...)
>
> As I mentioned before in private, since the components are .so
> and .la files Mandrake requires them to be in a package
> beginning with "lib", currently libgambas0.  But the main
> package is still named gambas, so this should be good enough.
>
> I have also made an unofficial gambas-runtime package including
> the contents of gambas and libgambas0, and which provides the
> "gambas" rpm resource, so mandrake users would only have to
> install one package.
>
> Rob

If I sum up things, we must have, in Mandrake:

- gambas: gbx, gbi, gbc, gba, ./share/gambas/info/*
- libgambas0: ./lib/*
- gambas-runtime: gambas + libgambas0
- gambas-gui or gambas-ide: the IDE + the database manager
- gambas-doc: the docs
- gambas-devel: the *.so symbolic links.

But in the case of gambas, their convention is not very relevant, as:

- gbx (the interpreter) cannot load components without the *.so symbolic
links.

- gambas-gui is not the gui of the gambas interpreter, it is a gambas IDE
written in gambas.

- the gambas components (libgambas0) are tied to the interpreter, and only the
interpreter will use them. On the other hand, a new major version of the
interpreter will require new major version of libraries.

I think that before the 1.0, I will give to the components a 1.0 version in
the so file (if I find how to do that!)

Is it possible to swap gambas & gambas-runtime names, so that just a
"Requires: gambas" is sufficient in the RPM made by the IDE ?

Is it possible to make a circular dependency so that installing one of the
three packages gambas, gambas-runtime & gambas-devel installs the two other
ones ?

Is it possible that installing gambas-gui implies gambas-doc ?

Benoit Minisini
mailto:gambas at ...1...