[Gambas-user] gambas 0.95

Benoit Minisini gambas at ...1...
Mon Jul 19 23:21:20 CEST 2004

Hi everybody,

After three days of intense fight with rpm, here is Gambas 0.95!

This is a important release, as I provide a complete set of gambas binary
packages for MandrakeLinux which is compatible with the packages generated by
the Development Environment. This way, Mandrake users will be able to easily
test if distributing Gambas applications works - and rocks! :-)

The database manager has been redesigned, and allows exporting the result of a
request to a file.

Many new and old controls now provide automatic layout management.

Well, don't forget to read the ChangeLog to see the many other changes and bug
fixes.

The source is there:
http://gambas.sf.net/gambas-0.95.tar.bz2

The Mandrake packages are there:
http://gambas.sf.net/RPM/MandrakeLinux/i586

Now, every packager will have to follow the same package arrangement than I
did for Mandrake, so that distributing gambas applications works. Everything
is in the gambas.spec.mandrake file located in the spec directory of the
source package.

Here is a quick explanation:

'gambas-runtime' is the package that include all necessary stuff to run any
gambas program.

'gambas-ide' is the IDE: it includes the database-manager, the documentation,
and depends only on needed components. Installing 'gambas-ide' does not
install every component, be careful!

'gambas-gb-*' are the component packages. There must be one package for each
component.

Database drivers have their own packages: gambas-gb-db-mysql, ...

I tried to make a void 'gambas' packages that depends on all other packages,
but it seems I failed :-)

The packages does not depend on already existing Mandrake package, but
directly on system libraries. This way, the gambas.spec.mandrake file is
easily portable to SuSE or Fedora.

I invite SuSE and Fedora packager to port this spec file and to see if they
can easily package Gambas with it.

I invite Debian packager to try alien on Mandrake packages to see if things
works.

I know that my packaging does not follow Mandrake requirements, but the shared
libraries made by gambas are not intended to be used by other programs than
the gambas interpreter. They are not intended to be shared in fact, they are
just there to save memory...

I hope the dependencies I wrote works. I'm not sure, because my system already
have all necessary development packages installed.

So I'm waiting for your returns courageous testers!

I think the 1.0 version must be close now :-p

Best regards,

--
Benoit Minisini
mailto:gambas at ...1...