[Gambas-user] DB compatible to SQL Server 2000

Benoit Minisini gambas at ...1...
Mon Aug 30 11:01:46 CEST 2004

On Monday 30 August 2004 10:45, ron wrote:
> On Monday 30 August 2004 10:05, Benoit Minisini wrote:
> > On Monday 30 August 2004 03:54, Iwan Prasetyo wrote:
> > > Dear milis,
> > >
> > > Could it be possible if I request for DB compatible for SQL Server
> > > 2000? It would be easier and painless to develop app using gambas in
> > > transition time from Windows to Linux.
> > >
> > > (cos I can't connect my VB app to postgreSQL)
> > >
> > > Thx in advance and sorry if OOT:)
> > >
> > > Regards,
> > >
> > > Iwan Prasetyo
> > > ----------------------
> >
> > I think the simpler way to connect ODBC databases is what Edward Hsu
> > suggested a few days ago: http://odbtp.sourceforge.net
> >
> > The only problem with ODBC and this library is finding good documentation
> > about ODBC catalog requests, which allows me reading database metadata
> > (tables, fields, indexes). The Gambas database driver needs that!
> >
> > Regards,
>
> May be you can use the AdoDB in PHP as a example to
> get support for all kinds of DB's.
> After all it is doing the same as we need in gambas for php.
>
> Even more interesting a interface to the AdoDB class
> That way you do not have to write new support for the
> different db's but only on one interface, the gb.AdoDB.

How could you use a PHP module in Gambas ???

> I got several years back the ODBC developres kit.
> Didn't see it now for long time.
> It contains a quicktest program using mutch of the
> sql commands. Source in C to build and execute them
> to test the ODBC function of the driver works.

The more difficult is not getting the result of a query, it is getting
metadata information (named catalog queries in ODBC).

If I made my own cooking with the gambas database component, it was for two
reasons: Gambas datatype support was needed for the ease of programming, and,
above all, all database interfaces I saw didn't please me.

I find the odbtp approach a very good idea :-)

Benoit Minisini
mailto:gambas at ...1...