[Gambas-user] DB compatible to SQL Server 2000

ron ronstk at ...239...
Mon Aug 30 07:14:18 CEST 2004

On Monday 30 August 2004 03:54, Iwan Prasetyo wrote:
> Dear milis,
>
> Could it be possible if I request for DB compatible for SQL Server 2000?
> It would be easier and painless to develop app using gambas in transition
> time from Windows to Linux.
>
> (cos I can't connect my VB app to postgreSQL)
>
> Thx in advance and sorry if OOT:)
>
> Regards,
>
> Iwan Prasetyo
> ----------------------

I think a request is always possible. If it will be honnered?

1) VB app works with postgreSQL by using ODBC.
2) VB app works with MySQL by using ODBC (I use(d) this already many years)
3) VB app works with SQL Server 2000 by using ODBC

If you search you can even find a MyTool to get real
MySQL server tcp connection based service without ODBC to
use MySQL native in VB and uses libmySQL.dll and myvbql.dll.
Working on local or across network connections.
It worked here in the past on my winbox very well.
My search found it at : http://www.icarz.com/mysql/
Pro is you dont need any DB stuff part of MS for you app.

MySQL has also windows based server available,
good for testing the app. Unknown postgresql, maybe also.

With the ODBC support in gambas Rob mentioning it
should be time to use ODBC in your VB app instead
the native build in Jet engine *.mdb support.
After that it is how well the querys are build.
If you not use Server typical functions it is
switching on the fly between the server types
with ODBC.

Trying to shift your problem not being able to use
ODBC for the VB app to a request for support
in gambas for a linux alien product is easy.

However a direct native like interface can't be made
by the closed propiarity source of MS.
That was the result of the(yours) choise for MS with Windows.
You are now forced heavly to that platform without
choise you want, they are the owner of your system.

It will be a connection across the network and for that it will be
more like a ODBC type and that is already posible as far I know ATM.
I believe PHP use it with AdoDB class plugin for the linux ODBC.

Only the gambas to the lunix based ODBC is needed.
At that moment there are many more types of DB supported
instead a MS private property system to handle data in a base.

If you want a transition to Linux why keeping SQL Server 2000 anyway?

I hope you will find the way to go, the light you have seen already. :)