[Gambas-user] OT:Very nice compliments for gambas :))

Hans-Martin Bundeshund bundeshund at ...467...
Tue Aug 24 21:29:03 CEST 2004

Salute!

Today I presented Gambas to some of my mates at work. As I and they work in a
IT department, I show the easy usability and simply built a form with some
textboxes, a combobox and some other components. Then I inserted
MySQL-support. Their Eyes were so wide open! :))
It was a plesure to see 5 greening people arround my little notebook...

(I have to say that we work with an iSeries also knowen as an AS400 from IBM.
There are some visual tools to work/develop with, because it is not tgat
stable and we are told not to use them, so we all work with the green-screen,
no graphic, only text-console as a terminal-emulator under win2k; and the
programming language I have to use is called 'ILE-RPG'. This language don't
have free text (the text hase to be entered at the correct position), you
have to fill the text into the right column, if not, you get a syntax
error... (Since 2 years, you are able to work with an op-code called '/free'.
With this you can write some 'free' text without the column restriction, but
not all commands work with this. Horror!)

They were really enthusiastic about Gambas! Not even that it is free and open
source, no, it offers a great and simple to use workbench.

If you have worked with IBM-tools on Midrange or even greater machines before,
you couldn't believe that writing an application can be so easy and
comfortable. Unfortunate the iSeries is a *very* stable machine and the
performance of the inegrated DB2 is excellent. If only Gambas would
communicate with the DB2 under OS/400...

regards,

HM