[Gambas-user] RE: Trouble with examples

Rob sourceforge-raindog2 at ...94...
Wed Apr 21 04:44:53 CEST 2004

On Tuesday 20 April 2004 22:36, BluPhoenyx wrote:
> Are you sure this is a flaw? The standard procedure in these
> cases require the user to copy the files (or subdirectories)
> to some place in their home directory or other user writable
> directory. This also gives the added benefit of keeping the
> original source pristine.

The current behavior (that lets you open the project, but then
produces an error when you try to change it or even build it) is
broken, and harmful to newbies.  The behavior of making a
root-owned examples directory world-writable, as many of us have
done as a workaround, is an unacceptable practice from a
security standpoint, especially if it were to be done
automatically.

So, automatically copying the example project down to the user's
home directory (that's what Application.Home is) prior to
opening it seems like the least intrusive way to do this, and it
would even work on multiuser systems.  That is what my above
pseudocode is meant to do, and I think I can hack it into the
Gambas IDE quickly once I have time to bury my nose in the
source again.

Rob