[Gambas-user] Networking 0.0.12

Benoit Minisini gambas at ...2...
Sat Oct 18 11:57:02 CEST 2003

Le Jeudi 16 Octobre 2003 17:29, Daniel Campos a écrit :
> Hello:
>
>  Here's a new release of networking component:
>
> --> I've finished Serial Port class interface, and i've also improved
> ClientSocket class:
>
> --> Previous versions could handle a maximun size of 1024 bytes
> when receiving data, now , memory is allocated dinamically in the
> range 1-65536 bytes, so bigger packets can be received at once.
> This is valid also for serial port method "GetData"
>
> --> Documentation and examples updated
>
>  Next step will be finish ServerSocket class, and then, a 0.1.0 version,
> in which I will make no more changes except bug fixes, as I think
> all basic networking tasks are covered with this component. I have
> to work now on XML component, and after that, more networking component
> work.
>
> By the way, Benoît , I don't want to be famous :), but I would like
> to have a place in "Hall of Fame" as Networking (and may be XML)
> programmer as i'd like to let people contact with me to talk about
> these components. If you want a brief description of me:
>
> --> Daniel Campos Fernández, 29 years old.
> --> Spain, living at Madrid, but I hate big towns.
> --> I began "BASIC" programming with a ZX-81 (yes, Spectrum didn't
> exists at this time), when I was 9 years old. Then my brother bought a
> MSX from sony, in which I began to learn Assembler (Z-80). My first PC
> was a gift from my parents, a PC-1512 from Amstrad (512Kb, 8086 cpu,
> what a montster!). I began to learn C and C++ (a compiler from Borland
> in two 5 1/4 disks, that I had to switch continuosly as PC had no hard
> drive)
> --> Currently i'm a programmer working with C, C++, Visual Basic, Linux,
> Windows, FreePascal, Delphi, C# and all the stuff that costumers can
> imagine.
> --> Main characteristic : I love imagine how could I make work complex
> things in languages that, like Visual Basic, are supposed to be poor and
> simple. I love my girlfriend, Montse, too.
>

> Regards,

Hi, Daniel.

I feel ashamed, because I didn't look at your code seriously yet. I can spend
very few time on Gambas at the moment...

Of course you will have an big entry in the hall of fame. I just wanted to
look your code more deeply.

I just want to suggest you other names for some constants, methods and
property, and, more important, I must check that you used the GB.Watch() API
correctly so that you let the event loop do all the watching process. I mean:
that you called blocking system calls like accept() cleverly so that the
event loop can do its job.

Best regards,

--
Benoit Minisini