[Gambas-user] Nelson's Gambas wish list

Benoit Minisini gambas at ...2...
Sun Jun 29 00:12:15 CEST 2003

Le Samedi 28 Juin 2003 21:46, Rob a écrit :
> Nelson Ferraz has set up a wish list for Gambas language features at
>
> http://www.binara.com/gambas-wiki/bin/view/Gambas/WishList
>
> Some of his suggestions are better suited to Perl (which is where he got
> them from) and some are already present in Gambas, but a couple might be
> nice to have.
>
> One of the things Nelson is asking for is post-conditional notation, which
> I think would be overly confusing for BASIC programmers but I can see the
> value in being able to do the following in one line:
>
>   PRINT i FOR i = 1 TO 10

I don't like this because it is very confusing for BASIC programmers.

> Instead, maybe Gambas should have a syntax element like other BASIC
> languages have always had, the colon to separate statements on a line:
>
>   FOR i = 1 TO 10 : PRINT i : NEXT

This could be possible, but this syntax tends to produce code that is very
hard to read. Like in Perl... ;-)

> He also suggested Perl-style string interpolation by prefixing variables
> with a dollar sign, e.g.
>
>   MyStr = "world"
>   PRINT "Hello $MyStr!"
>
> I can see where that might be difficult to do, but it would sure save a lot
> of typing.

I don't like that, because it breaks the BASIC syntax, it would need an
interpreter overhead, and because it prevents these strings to be
translatable.

You have the Subst() function, that is adapted to translation.

> Thoughts?  Nelson, did you ever sign up for the list?
>
> Rob

We should discuss that on the mailing-list rather than on the Wiki !

--
Benoit Minisini
mailto:gambas at ...1...