[Gambas-user] Nelson's Gambas wish list

Rob sourceforge-raindog2 at ...94...
Sat Jun 28 21:46:16 CEST 2003

Nelson Ferraz has set up a wish list for Gambas language features at

http://www.binara.com/gambas-wiki/bin/view/Gambas/WishList

Some of his suggestions are better suited to Perl (which is where he got them
from) and some are already present in Gambas, but a couple might be nice to
have.

One of the things Nelson is asking for is post-conditional notation, which I
think would be overly confusing for BASIC programmers but I can see the value
in being able to do the following in one line:

  PRINT i FOR i = 1 TO 10

Instead, maybe Gambas should have a syntax element like other BASIC languages
have always had, the colon to separate statements on a line:

  FOR i = 1 TO 10 : PRINT i : NEXT

He also suggested Perl-style string interpolation by prefixing variables with
a dollar sign, e.g.

  MyStr = "world"
  PRINT "Hello $MyStr!"

I can see where that might be difficult to do, but it would sure save a lot of
typing.

Thoughts?  Nelson, did you ever sign up for the list?

Rob