[Gambas-user] Types? Records?

Rob sourceforge-raindog2 at ...94...
Mon Jul 28 19:18:01 CEST 2003

On Monday 28 July 2003 12:51, Nelson Ferraz wrote:
> Hmmm... this may be off-topic, but it would be nice to add the concept
> of serializable, persistent and prevalent objects to Gambas:

Could you describe (in IT terms rather than CS terms) what
serializable/persistent/prevalent objects would do for us?  All I can imagine
is that "serializable" means "every object of a class gets a serial
identifier" which I would assume is already the case, and that "persistent"
means "every object has its own routines for saving its state to disk between
runs", which I think is a Bad Idea(tm).  I have no idea what prevalent means
unless it means "everything's an object" which I think is already how Gambas
works. ;)

Yes, I did read the DeveloperWorks article, and it was completely over my
head.  Maybe it's because it seems to be aimed at Java/Websphere developers
or maybe it's just me.  Sorry, I got an A in my CS1 class where we learned
Pascal on a Prime mini, then an A in my introduction to C, and I used to be
able to implement Qsort from memory, but I never passed (or, indeed,
finished) another CS class after that. ;)  Which hasn't stopped me from
writing a ton of code in Java/C++/assorted other OO languages, but I am only
now getting past "OO programming sucks" and have a tough time grasping
"Here's an esoteric way to add more functionality to your OO language."

Rob