[Gambas-user] gambas 0.60 Mandrake RPM's and a patch

Benoit Minisini gambas at ...2...
Mon Jul 7 22:22:38 CEST 2003

Le Lundi 7 Juillet 2003 21:56, Rob a écrit :
> On Monday 07 July 2003 15:19, Benoit Minisini wrote:
> > It seems you did not like my new blue arrows ? :-) You have put back the
> > old icons in your patch !
>
> Oops, the truth comes out, no, I didn't like them ;)  I think they're a
> step backward in usability, with all the icons for all the functions on the
> form being the same graphic.  And one of the things that actually drew me
> to Gambas in the first place (circa 0.50) was what I saw as the welcome
> dialog's professional looking design.

Maybe blues icons, like Fabien wanted to have ? I think this will come after a
stable release of Gambas.

> But I didn't mean to include my changes to the welcome form in my patch
> because I felt it would be stepping on your toes.  I mean to start making
> RPM's of an alternative version of the IDE with a different name so people
> don't think it's official (essentially, my MDI version for VB5/6 fans once
> I get something similar to docking working...) and I will probably still
> include the old version of the welcome screen there, if not with your
> existing icons for new/open/recent/quit then with the KDE Crystal
> equivalents.  The RPM (at least the one I do for Mandrake) will still
> require both gambas and gambas-gui to be installed and will likely only
> consist of an executable and a readme - it will only be meant as a slightly
> more VB-ish interface to the same features.

Don't forget to respect the GPL, i.e. explain what you have changed is not
mine but yours and give the sources.

I will certainly modify the interface of the IDE in the MDI way, but I want to
make a stable release first.

> > I thought clearing the property dialog when no control is selected was...
> > clearer to the user.
>
> Except when they're trying to reference the contents of the property dialog
> when they're editing their code... ;)  This isn't just some freaky
> usability idea on my part, I actually had a couple VB users I've turned on
> to Gambas ask me about it so I looked into fixing it.

I think I see what you mean. I will change the property dialog so that it
keeps displaying the properties of the last opened form as you did.

> If you'd rather I didn't distribute an executable called "gambas" with
> these changes, I could release a new RPM without them and save the
> non-dialog-related parts of my patch for when I put my alternative IDE out
> there.  I really don't want to upset anyone with my "easy migration for VB
> users" agenda.

In fact, I don't want to support what you have changed, because it is already
hard for me to support what I did ! :-)

Benoit Minisini
mailto:gambas at ...1...