[Gambas-user] Re: New gambas User (I have a bad english :-))

Benoît Minisini gambas at ...1...
Fri Feb 14 11:25:17 CET 2003

Le Mercredi 12 Février 2003 22:47, vous avez écrit :
> Hi,
> I' ve just discovered Gambas: WOW.
> I usually program microcontrollers (Avr,pic ...), using VisualBasic to
> build the PC user interfaces for my circuits. Since now (i'm not so
> familiar with 'C' programming) this was a limit in the use of linux in my
> application. In order of this, reading your future prospective, i' ve see
> that there is no support now and in the future to the serial ports(RS232
> for the first), limiting Gambas interaction with the external world. I
> think that this can expand the Gambas 'penetration' in the industrial
> application, increasing its diffusion and prestige. Stop now I i don't want
> to make you sleep.
> Only the last thing: it's not so obvious to make './application_Name'  to
> exec a Gambas_Exe for a Linux newbie like me !
>
> God save Gambas :-)
>
> Best regards
> Giordano de Stefanis
>
> giordano.destefanis at ...69...

Hi Giordano,

Under Unix, you can access any device by its special device file. I don't know
what device corresponds to the RS232 port. But you can write to it in gambas
by using OPEN, WRITE, READ and CLOSE.

For example, to read from the midi port:

DIM hMidi as File
DIM iByte as BYTE

OPEN "/dev/midi" FOR READ DIRECT AS #hMidi
READ #hMidi, iByte
CLOSE #hMidi

Benoît Minisini
mailto:gambas at ...1...