[Gambas-devel] Fwd: Re: Gambas to Git(Lab)

Adrien Prokopowicz adrien.prokopowicz at ...176...
Fri Jul 28 17:38:25 CEST 2017

Le Fri, 28 Jul 2017 17:06:41 +0200, Christof Thalhofer
<chrisml at ...757...> a écrit:

> Hi,
>
> Assume, Gambas gets bigger and more important and somewhere in the
> future there exists a Gambas 3.20 in old distributions like Debian and
> Gambas 4.05 in current Ubuntu, each of these versions is "stable".
>
> Assume also there is a security breach introduced in Gambas 3.10 ;-)
>
> How would you insert a hotfix which would lead to stable 3.21 and stable
> 4.06 in your model? IMO ... that would be impossible.
>

> Alles Gute
>
> Christof Thalhofer

You're right, I mistakingly assumed we would only have to maintain one
stable
version (as it is the case right now).

However, I think the fix is pretty simple : we could add a legacy branch
(branched
right before the 4.0 version would be merged into master, so it is still
3.20), and
commit the fixes for the legacy version into it when needed (so we can
release both
versions in parallel).

If the fix can be applied to both the legacy and stable versions without
rewriting it
(unlikely, since the codebase would change a lot between these versions),
then
cherry-picking the fixing commit into master should be enough. :-)

The model isn't set it stone. It's still Git, we can do whatever we want
whenever we want. Adding a few branches to our workflow later isn't a
problem. ;-)

--
Adrien Prokopowicz