[Gambas-devel] Cygwin patch

Tobias Boege taboege at ...176...
Mon Sep 12 21:09:45 CEST 2016

On Mon, 12 Sep 2016, Bastian Germann wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I saw someone included my patch in 3.9.0. Thanks for that. Here are
> two more Cygwin patches.
> Now I am able to build every package except the gb-v4l (which is
> deprecated anyway) and gb-inotify package, which is dependent on Linux
> kernel and required for the IDE unfortunately. I am currently working
> on a cygport.
>
> To address the inotify issue: Can I just patch the requirement
> definitions and calls to that package out of the IDE or does it
> implement a feature that is absolutely necessary? Then I would use
> fswatch [0] or Qt's QFileSystemWatcher to implement an alternative
> component. Actually in the Todo of gb-inotify there are two
> alternative (outdated?) libs listed that the author wants to have a
> look at. How does the FreeBSD port handle the file watching?
>
> What are your thoughts on this?

I'm the author and I myself don't really plan to extend the component in
the foreseeable future. Portable file system monitoring would come in the
form of a new component anyway. The TODO at this time is only a reminder
where to start should I have some excess time in the future.

I didn't even know the IDE used gb.inotify. There is, AFAICS, no code in
the IDE that uses gb.inotify. I think you can just remove the component
dependency from the .project file and be done with it. I suspect the
reason it is added by default is that the FileView and DirView classes
in gb.form, which are used in the IDE, detect whether gb.inotify is loaded
and if so, behave more responsively by using the component.

If that's the whole reason the issue might even be fixed in the main
repository by removing the explicit dependency and adding a

  Try Component.Load("gb.inotify")

or something to the start procedure of the IDE. That would work in all
cases.

Regards,
Tobi