[Gambas-devel] Add-ins

Benoît Minisini gambas at ...1...
Fri Sep 5 13:02:26 CEST 2014

Le 05/09/2014 12:52, John Leake a écrit :
> Hi Tobi,
> Thank you for your response.
>
> By "add-in" I mean an IDE toolbar that can load/remove modules when the
> IDE starts. This code would have a reference to the whole project (or a
> group of projects) source tree and would allow iteration of
> sub/func/class/module names and their contents. As an example the kind
> of productivity functions I implemented for M$ VB6 were;
>
> Syslog - When clicked this automatically inserted/removed syslog code
> into either the currently displayed sub/function/class/module or all
> sub/func/class/mods of the source file open in the editor.

Can you show me an example of what you mean?

> Copyright - This inserted/removed customisable comments at the head of
> the current source file.

OK. Maybe code snippets can already do that?

> ErrorTrap - As syslog but error trap code using FINALLY and CATCH.

An example?

> CallChart - As above but call chart code with graphvis output.

An example?

> I would not envisage the functions of the "add-in" code to be part of
> the source tree but the interface that facilitated "add-ins" would have
> to be.
>
> Best regards,
>
> John Leake

Technically there is no need of having "add-ins". I mean, there is no
problem in putting everything in the IDE source code, as Gambas only
loads the classes when they are first executed. The IDE executable being
1 Mb or 1 Gb won't change its startup nor its execution time.

Moreover, I prefer that you put your code directly inside the IDE source
code (carefully of course!), without me having to develop an add-in
interface.

--
Benoît Minisini