[Gambas-devel] Invader example does not work

Tobias Boege tobias at ...692...
Sun May 12 16:04:14 CEST 2013

On Sun, 12 May 2013, Beno?t Minisini wrote:
> Hi Tobias,
>
> I tried the Invader example, but it does not seem to work. I see
> mainly rubbish in the terminal.
>
> --
> Beno?t Minisini

Yeah, I should explain:

There are currently no levels or anything. You are prompted with approx. 1/3
of the screen full of enemies - and must survive! This is what you see at
the top. You have a rather huge screen, sorry for that :-)

I used an 80*24 terminal to test. This shows that there is, as for Pong,
some formula needed that involves both: height and width of a terminal to
caluclate enemy positions and amount...

As for the asterisks: red and magenta enemies are Borg. They are able to
shoot on you with green asterisks. The chance they do is 1/2000th with every
move[0].

>From the picture, I can tell that the game functions quite like I wrote it.
It's only that I wrote it badly :-) To test it, you should for now set the
environment variables LINES and COLUMNS to 24 resp. 80 before starting the
program. This makes ncurses pretend it runs in such a terminal.

I don't know how your starship could lose the left wing, though...

Regards,
Tobi

[0] I let my brother play it yesterday and he discovered that not only Borg
    are able to shoot. That's true and it's a trivial bug I will correct
    soon. Note that the chance to shoot for a Borg is 1/2000th of *every*
    move an enemies does - even if non-Borg (that's where the bug is
    currently). So the more enemies, the more shoots you'll see. Again, this
    depends on your terminal size.