[Gambas-devel] gb.sdl.sound channel volume bug

Mon Aug 12 06:51:14 CEST 2013

On 08/10/2013 08:37 PM, Benoît Minisini wrote:
> Le 08/07/2013 04:17, Kevin Fishburne a écrit :
>>>>
>>> Mmm... Maybe, the project seems to be maintained. I don't know OpenAL at
>>> all, but I guess a component could be done the same way as gb.opengl
>>> (i.e. by replicating the OpenAL interface).
>>>
>> I'm not familiar with it either, but from everything it says it
>> supports, it blows SDL's audio out of the water. I checked the Kubuntu
>> 13.04 repositories and the package is called libopenal1 (version 1.14).
>> Its dependencies are libopenal-data and libc6. There is also a toolkit
>> called alut (OpenAL Utility Toolkit), which likens itself to GLUT in
>> functionality.
>>
>> Obviously since I'm making a game it's in my interest to have such
>> libraries included in GAMBAS, but if you've been paying any attention to
>> the game industry (Gamasutra, Indiegames.com, Valve Corporation, etc.)
>> there has been an explosion of industry support for gaming on Linux this
>> year. There may never be a "year of the Linux desktop", but it looks
>> like the "year of gaming on Linux" is 2013.
>>
> So... Did you test gb.openal ? :-)

Not yet as other fish have been demanding to be fried, unfortunately
(for myself and the fish). Ironic, I know, and I apologize.

Every now and then when I make a breakthrough in the game I actually
jump out of my chair and leap around the room in excitement. I'm pretty
sure the first time I hear precisely amplified 3D positional footfall
and environmental effects something similar will occur.

My audio setup right now is pretty detailed (six water loops, two wind
loops, three rain loops, sixteen thunder effects and 72 footfall effects
with eight variations each of rubble kicks, sea shell pops and twig
snaps, to name a few), so if there are any dev-related issues with the
openal implementation I will give a full report.

For the time being, thank you and everyone who helped for the openal
implementation. GAMBAS really needed something like that as SDL (as its
name implies) is sorely lacking in audio functionality.

--
Kevin Fishburne
Eight Virtues