[Gambas-devel] New Gambas wiki

Sebastian Kulesz sebikul at ...176...
Sun Sep 30 01:54:09 CEST 2012

On Sat, Sep 29, 2012 at 8:27 PM, Benoît Minisini
<gambas at ...1...> wrote:
> Le 30/09/2012 01:22, Sebastian Kulesz a écrit :
>>
>> I couldn't do much work on the syntax because the current code is a
>> spaghetti. I had to add some patches to workaround some path issues,
>> but this meant some regressions in other parts of the code. As the CGI
>> script stops when it hits any kind of error, pages that can't be
>> parsed correctly are shown halved or blank, every case is different,
>> and without breakpoints it's really hard to debug (i had to do more
>> that 500 builds!).
>> The new syntax would be trivial to implement, the only hard part is to
>> write an script to convert the old one.
>>
>> Where i need some help is when parsing the special commands. I
>> couldn't port the code that analyzes symbols, components and classes.
>>
>> With the login system, i guess the administrator link can be hidden
>> except if the user has admin privileges :)
>>
>> IMO, it would be better to convert the whole database at once. If we
>> do it on demand, taking into account the amount of pages the wiki has,
>> it will lead to an enormous amount of fragmentation, and making any
>> change to the syntax parser would be nearly impossible without
>> breaking stuff. It should also be easier to catch and fix possible
>> errors.
>
> You're right. I will try to do the converter as soon as possible.
>
> As for special commands, I must think about it, because everything
> should be rewritten to be compatible with the markup syntax.
>

>> I thought about giving the wiki a new look, but i'm not a web
>> designer, my experience with HTML and CSS is really limited. But a
>> redesign with a more modern interface would be great!
>
> I mainly think about new interface features, like posting comments. The
> good looking should be done only with CSS.

I thought about that too. Comments and a subscription system so that
authors can be notified of changes to certain pages. Maybe we should
follow the Wikimedia style and add a Discussions and Subscriptions tab
to each page?

>> The code is organized using an MVC design pattern with some global
>> modules that handle the db scheme, the path requested, and how the
>> page should be loaded.
>>
>> Pages and users are handled both in the same way. There is a module
>> that provides helper functions and a class representing the properties
>> of each one.They make loading, reading and saving data really easy.
>>
>> The template consists of a major header webpage, and tiny webpages
>> that contain a really small amount of code.
>>
>> 4 controllers handle the loading of a webpage depending on what the
>> user requested, and a main module does the bootstrapping and routing.
>> Languages and versions are stored inside the session object, so there
>> is no need to keep the long standing ?v3 in the links.
>
> We must be allowed to specify the gambas version and the language in the
> link, otherwise we can't post a link on a specific documentation for a
> specific version and a specific language on the web!

It is possible to do that, only that the data is stored in the session
object and then the URL is cleaned ;) I did this so that search
crawlers only detect one version of a webpage, instead of n*language +
n*version. Is this ok?