[Gambas-devel] New Gambas wiki

Benoît Minisini gambas at ...1...
Sun Sep 30 01:27:23 CEST 2012

Le 30/09/2012 01:22, Sebastian Kulesz a écrit :

> I couldn't do much work on the syntax because the current code is a
> spaghetti. I had to add some patches to workaround some path issues,
> but this meant some regressions in other parts of the code. As the CGI
> script stops when it hits any kind of error, pages that can't be
> parsed correctly are shown halved or blank, every case is different,
> and without breakpoints it's really hard to debug (i had to do more
> that 500 builds!).
> The new syntax would be trivial to implement, the only hard part is to
> write an script to convert the old one.
>
> Where i need some help is when parsing the special commands. I
> couldn't port the code that analyzes symbols, components and classes.
>
> With the login system, i guess the administrator link can be hidden
> except if the user has admin privileges :)
>
> IMO, it would be better to convert the whole database at once. If we
> do it on demand, taking into account the amount of pages the wiki has,
> it will lead to an enormous amount of fragmentation, and making any
> change to the syntax parser would be nearly impossible without
> breaking stuff. It should also be easier to catch and fix possible
> errors.

You're right. I will try to do the converter as soon as possible.

As for special commands, I must think about it, because everything
should be rewritten to be compatible with the markup syntax.

> I thought about giving the wiki a new look, but i'm not a web
> designer, my experience with HTML and CSS is really limited. But a
> redesign with a more modern interface would be great!

I mainly think about new interface features, like posting comments. The
good looking should be done only with CSS.

> The code is organized using an MVC design pattern with some global
> modules that handle the db scheme, the path requested, and how the
> page should be loaded.
>
> Pages and users are handled both in the same way. There is a module
> that provides helper functions and a class representing the properties
> of each one.They make loading, reading and saving data really easy.
>
> The template consists of a major header webpage, and tiny webpages
> that contain a really small amount of code.
>
> 4 controllers handle the loading of a webpage depending on what the
> user requested, and a main module does the bootstrapping and routing.
> Languages and versions are stored inside the session object, so there
> is no need to keep the long standing ?v3 in the links.

We must be allowed to specify the gambas version and the language in the
link, otherwise we can't post a link on a specific documentation for a
specific version and a specific language on the web!

--
Benoît Minisini