[Gambas-devel] gambas wiki db scheme

Sebastian Kulesz sebikul at ...176...
Thu Sep 20 06:25:22 CEST 2012

On Wed, Sep 19, 2012 at 10:00 PM, Benoît Minisini
<gambas at ...1...> wrote:
> Le 20/09/2012 02:51, Sebastian Kulesz a écrit :
>>
>> I've been playing around a bit with the code. I already have most of
>> the basics, the database, user management and sessions are working.
>> I'm moving the header code, it's not easy, but when inside a Web Page,
>> it looks really good and easy to modify. I'm currently working with
>> the functions necessary to translate URL paths into pages and vice
>> versa, hoping to keep the pattern untouched.
>>
>> The gb.web component really saves a lot of code, mostly because of how
>> the wiki handles url parameters. Using it proved to be really helpful.
>> I've also added some specific MySQL routines from gb.mysql, but that
>> shouldn't be a problem.
>
> Please don't use gb.mysql, as I don't know if it is yet maintained.
> Normally there is no need to use it. Moreover, I don't want anything
> specific to MySQL, so that we can switch to another database system easily.
>
>> I've not implemented sessions yet, but they
>> seem really easy to use.
>>
>> I saw how symbols are automatically detected, but i don't want to
>> touch that part of the app, seems too delicate.
>>
>> If possible, could you post the content of the .htaccess or, at least,
>> the code that handles redirection and URL translation?
>
> What do you mean by that? What do you mean by "URL translation"? There
> is no code for that, everything is in the doc.cgi project.

Never mind, i'm using a workaround that should work fine. I found
several bugs in the Session class and the webpage editor. I will get
into details tomorrow, it's late now.

So far, only the header template is complete, but i implemented most
of the needed functions. I removed the language string from the url
for 2 reasons. First, it's useless, it can easily be stored inside a
cookie or a session object. Second, and most important, search engines
will detect as many pages as languages the wiki supports, all of them
using the same url path. So when an user searches for a symbol, he
get's a result for every language found. Double that if the symbol has
the same name in gambas2.
Search engines automatically convert the search terms into synonyms
using the user's browser language, so search results should be much
cleaner with this change. Besides, there is an option, at least in
google, to specify what language a website should use using and url
parameter.

Same happened with the version. They are both stored inside a cookie,
so they persist across sessions (once i get sessions to work, i will
make the switch)

If possible, could you please send me a partial dump of the database?
I only need a few articles that cover any possible variant the wiki
can handle, it's really hard to test only by reading the code.

Thanks!