[Gambas-devel] gambas wiki db scheme

Benoît Minisini gambas at ...1...
Tue Sep 18 22:36:44 CEST 2012

Le 18/09/2012 22:19, Sebastian Kulesz a écrit :

> I like the idea as it unifies comment syntax. But is it viable to
> convert the whole wiki? I believe you wrote (if not, you should do it
> now) a module to convert old pages, is it 100% safe? (maybe compare
> the html output to verify the success of each page).

Nothing is wrote at the moment, except the markup -> HTML converter.

Yes, maybe writing an old syntax -> new syntax converter would be the
solution for porting the old wiki to the new one.

To be useful for the wiki, the markup syntax must be extended with all
the special commands of the old one (those beginning with '@').

> If the rewrite is going to happen, i suggest an MVC approach,
> currently, there are >5000 loc on a single file! Divide and conquer. I
> was going to suggest a rewrite, but why change something that works?
> The only downside is that adding a feature is really hard.

That wiki was a QuickNDirty hack made with Gambas 1. And of course it is
still there...

> You should also be careful with the url pattern implemented now. To
> the end user, *nothing* should change. I'm saying this mostly because
> of search engines. Also note that the IDE uses a special url pattern
> to display inline help and changing it would break previous versions.

Mmm... Yes. But I think I can change the url pattern for editing pages
and administrating the wiki.

> Maybe we should discuss this on the irc channel.

Alas I'm not an irc guy...

> Anyway, if you need any help, let me know, i like the challenge ;)

If you have some time, you are strongly welcome. I think if I can finish
the markup syntax, things would be easier for you.

I'd like the new wiki to be entirely based on one Gambas CGI script
using the gb.web component and ASP-like pages. That way it will be a
good demo for how to use that component.

I want to keep all the current features, but here are a few other I'd like:

- Using the Session object to implement a login/password not based on
.htaccess files.

- Being able to comment pages.

- Gambas syntax highlighting.

I plan in the future to embed a small http server into a component, so
that a CGI script can be transformed in a full http server serving
itself in one click. If I succeed (not sure...), debugging CGI scripts
will be easy, and we will be able to run a local Gambas documentation
server very easily!

As for the database schema, I am currently downloading a database dump
from the wiki and I will tell you. Not very complex...

Another point: Fabien and Adrien have made an entire web site for Gambas
(in french). It is based on the gb.xml and gb.xml.html components made
by Adrien. Maybe they could help us?

Benoît Minisini