[Gambas-devel] Unused signals to be sent

tobi tobias at ...692...
Sun May 6 23:23:27 CEST 2012

On Sun, 06 May 2012, tobi wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I know that at least SIGUSR1 is needed by gbx3 or something to abort the current program. I am
> currently implementing an interface to the terminal driver to enable no-delay keyboard input. The
> experiences of my research were several manual reset button hits because the keyboard was screwed
> up when not properly cleaned up, which I didn't find nice and my computer neither - and of course
> I learned all that I need to implement that _correctly_ ;). Now, the cleanup works great whenever:
> * the program exits
> * an error occurs
> * the user hits ESC thrice during one second (emergency exit) (this enabled, however all users to
>   screw up the program logic as it immediately exits the mode, the programmer chose for the
>   application. But better than hardware reset if the program is misbehaving. I have to think about
>   that...)
>
> I additionally, not only for consistency issues, want to be able to switch between virtual consoles
> when in this NoDelay mode. In another program I saw that the authors used signals they taught the vt
> driver to sent the program when a switch was requested from another vt to the one that program runs
> in and in the current vt, they take that under direct control of the program. Not that difficult
> but I need signals to be sent. What signal may I use? (The program I mentioned above uses SIGUSR1
> and SIGUSR2 (for release and acquire) and I am not able to use these in Gambas, right? So which
> one are sure to use?)
>
> (And, Benoît, wasn't there once the approach to register signal handlers using the interpreter API?
> I still need that to enable the terminal Resize event)
>
> Regards,
> Tobi

Benoît,

another reason for the signal handler API (for some reason, I think that GB.Signal(int, void*) would
do the job? Is that what you wanted to implement as we talked about the SIGWINCH handler in
gb.ncurses? You mentioned pipes back then?): I just had a segfault trying a new feature and wished,
that it could have been caught to properly shutdown the program, hence don't leave my keyboard in a
state that I cannot operate with... Thank goodness, I have gpm in my daemons array now to reboot my
machine softly...

Gently await your reply.

Regards,
Tobi