[Gambas-devel] potential for web-based, cross-platform GAMBAS applications

Benoît Minisini gambas at ...1...
Mon Aug 29 21:11:51 CEST 2011

> I just caught this on Slashdot:
>
> http://blog.chromium.org/2011/08/native-client-brings-sandboxed-native.html
>
> Looks like it's still early on in development, but when it becomes more
> useful I think it has great potential. To summarize from the article:
>
> "Native Client apps live on the web platform, so you don’t need to
> create separate versions of your app for each operating system. Rather
> than relying on OS-specific APIs, Native Client apps use Pepper, a set
> of interfaces that provide C and C++ bindings to the capabilities of
> HTML5. This means that once you’ve ported your code to Native Client, it
> will work across different operating systems, and you only need to
> maintain one code base."
>
> If GAMBAS was made to work with it, any GAMBAS application could be run
> in a browser. As I said, it's not near finished, but I think an eye
> should be kept on it for the future.

I hate that. They actually have the same goal than Microsoft : making their
platform unavoidable.

Moreover JavaScript is a mess, HTML5 is not finished, Mozilla wants to design
"WebAPI"...

I made Gambas just because of that. :-)

Now, in a more constructive way, it's interesting :-). It's one more "in the
wind" thing to do:

1) Compiling Gambas interpreter on Android and use the androit scripting
server to make application.

And now:

2) Making a "Pepper" component so that Gambas app can be run inside this GGG
(google gilded guardian).

--
Benoît Minisini