[Gambas-devel] $50 bounty for backporting a gb3 method to gb2 tree

Benoît Minisini gambas at ...1...
Thu Oct 14 15:02:30 CEST 2010

>   On 14-10-2010 4:37, Kevin Fishburne wrote:
> >    On 10/13/2010 05:47 AM, Benoît Minisini wrote:
> >> What does "glitchy" mean? It is not in my english dictionary.
> >
> > A glitch is a malfunction or in my case a bug. The gb3 build a few
> > months ago had some IDE GUI issues that prevented me from using it and
> > none of the Draw methods worked. More specifically, clicking on
> > different panes or text input fields with the mouse wouldn't change
> > focus in the IDE to accept input. Keyboard commands would also refuse to
> > be acknowledged after running an app, such as F5. I'd have to close
> > GAMBAS, then re-run it for the input to be temporarily restored. All the
> > Draw routines would draw anything visibly. Those issues may have been
> > addressed already (I need to build it again I suppose), but I'm hesitant
> > to migrate my project to gb3 since it's still beta.
> >
> >> And Gambas 2 will be deprecated soon. Well, before the end of the
> >> year...
> >
> > I hope that means that gb3 is near release-readiness then. I have no
> > problem migrating, I just need it to be reasonably stable. The main
> > reason I requested a backport was because I had no idea when gb3 was
> > going to reach 3.0. Could have been another year for all I knew.
>
> I have the same experience when I ported a part of my project to
> Gambas3, but a lot of bugs where fixes since then.
>
> The main problem I have is that the Gnome GUI part of my project (which
> is big), looked awkward when ported.
> It costs a lot of time to make it look descend, still don't know why
> that happens.
> I'm on Ubuntu 10.04 and 10.10 using Gnome and default themes.
> Texts are to large to fix in there boxes, back and foreground colors are
> different than with Gambas2.
> Anyone has that experience too?
>
> Will try to invest some more time soon, and report back the issues I run
> into.
>
> Regards,
> Ron_2nd.

To avoid that, you must not design your GUI with fixed pixel dimensions, but
only use Forms with the Scaled property set to TRUE, and containers with an
arrangement.

That way, all control dimensions and positions are proportional to
Desktop.Scale, which is proportional to the default font size.

And you must not use fixed font size, but only relative ones (-1, 0, +1...)

Then, when loading the Gambas 2 project into Gambas 3 IDE, you must run the
menu entry "update all forms": it will update most of the control scaled
dimensions, because the way Desktop.Scale is computed has changed between
Gambas 2 and Gambas 3.

You will have a bit of work yet to get a correct GUI, but nothing horrible.

Benoît Minisini