[Gambas-devel] Empty string sets controls and collections members to null Question

richard terry rterry at ...627...
Mon Nov 23 03:32:36 CET 2009

On Thursday 27 August 2009 19:55:01 you wrote:

I asked this before (text below) and to my recollection (maybe faulty) Benoit
said that the behaviour causing me problems was normal, however I really need
to find a solution.

In a nutshell again it is this:

I use collections to transfer data to-from my database to add/update records
(don't use the gambas datacontrol).

If an existing collection has a member containing text eg

MyCollection!my_value = "a dog", and I'm updating the record, lets say I've
deleted the text in the input field, and the value in the backend for that
field in a table now has to be  an empty sting or null, if I do this:

MyCollectioni!my_value = "", effectively removes the 'my_value' key from the
collection, dosn't set its string to null.

I would have thought that "" = empty string, not null, but I think Benoit said
that this was equivalent in gambas. I can't think how to get around this and
wondered if anyone could think of a solution.

Regards

Richard