[Gambas-devel] ListView Checkbox support Please

ReturnOfNights nightwolf_glc at ...255...
Sat Jun 20 15:23:20 CEST 2009

Using Gambas for a month now and enjoying it a LOT!!!

I was planning on making a bigger project than the ones I have already
created with it since recently moving from Windows and VB6 to Linux and
Gambas.

One of the hacks for VB6 was to enable check boxes to be used if wanted.

Instead of spending a long time working on learning to develop gambas
controls by myself to achieve this feature, I decided to join up to the
mailing list and see how all this open source stuff really works when it's a
specific problem/feature requested by me (the end user).

If the feature is added and the changes are done with a screencast - I'll be
happy to lend a hand to adding new features in the future, I have been a vb6
user for 11 Years and was a QuickBasic user for 3 years prior to that,
dabbed in GBasic and was on AMOS and firstly C64 Basic when I was 9 years
old - I am 27 now and lets just say, after spending a week looking at
python, c#, java, ruby I had almost given up hope of enjoying developing
tools in linux in the language I have the most experience in.

Basic for Desktop Tools/Applications is far from basic on modern processors
- the RAD IDE design and click to edit events, plus the incredible string
manipulation supported in these basic languages make it possible to create a
complete application in about 1/4 the time it takes a C++ application to
have the same features ready. For gambas I thank you for making and sharing
it, and most of all - keeping it free for hobbyists like myself to
use/improve without needing to mess about with costs and legalities.

Please no comments on using a Grid view with a Icon Checkbox or anything
hack like, I really want this Product to be it's best, and keeping the code
simple, if a work around is possible - then please instead of making every
user do this to achieve a feature - make it into a Addin/built in function
and keep gambas improving.

BTW - great job on the IDE - took me about 5 minutes to become familiar with
the layout and apart from the above problem the command help (via f1) is all
thats missing.

Thanks gambas team

ReturnOfNights aka Nightwolf81