[Gambas-devel] gb3, qt4, Ubuntu 9.10 ---> Environment issue or bug?

Kadaitcha Man nospam.nospam.nospam at ...176...
Thu Dec 31 10:44:44 CET 2009

Ok, it seems to me that every single display issue I've had has been
put down to running qt4 on a GTK+ system, so I'm happy to accept that
this current issue is also due to a dodgy environment.

The TextEdit control always, without fail, wraps text and never
displays the horizontal scrollbar.

I have read the documentation and there is nothing there that suggests
a wrap property.

So, am I doing something wrong, is it an environment problem, or is it
a bug? Ok, ok, I can cope with being told my HTML tags suck too :)

Image attached to avoid the need to view the code. I have tried other
combinations of HTML tags that are too numerous to list here, and not
one of them causes the horizontal scrollbar to show nor do any of them
cause the text to not wrap; in all cases, the text wraps. No text wrap
and a horizontal scrollbar showing is my goal here.

I've checked and checked and checked. I can see nothing that will stop
the wrapping. I have even replaced every single space with   and
still the text wraps.

Here is the full code for the problem reproduction, which is also attached:

Private Const SOME_TEXT As String = "Quick brown dogs jump over the
lazy fox. The jay, pig, Quick wafting zephyrs vex bold Jim. Quick
zephyrs blow, vexing daft Jim. quick jump. Joaquin Phoenix was gazed
by MTV for luck. A wizard's job is to vex chumps quickl"

Public Sub _new()

End

Public Sub Form_Open()

  TextEdit1.RichText = "<font color=#" & Hex(4367212) & ">" &

  TextEdit2.Text = SOME_TEXT

  TextEdit3.RichText = "<p><font color=#" & Hex(4367212) & ">" &
SOME_TEXT & "</font></p>"

  TextEdit4.Text = SOME_TEXT
  TextEdit4.SelectAll()
  TextEdit4.Format.Color = 4367212
  TextEdit4.Unselect()

End

Oh, and while I'm at it, TextEdit.Format.Font on a selection blows up
with a SIG 11, but that's not an issue for me because I have decided
that the TextEdit control will have one single font and size. Still,
it may need looking at.