[Gambas-devel] Gambas3 Directory Structure

Benoît Minisini gambas at ...1...
Mon Dec 7 15:08:04 CET 2009

> if i remember well the packager take only not hidden file to make the
> executable archive... by this way all the other files (svn, and
> others) are not takked into account. (maybe Benoit can doing an
> exception for the src directorie.... i'll prefer too)
>
> 2009/12/7 Ron <ron at ...572...>:
> > Charlie Reinl wrote:

> >> that's a simple form of a repository on a disk. No?
> >> And keep all together, what belongs a typ ,(project, image, source-code)
> >> And for quick access to all that, you have the gambas IDE.
> >>
> >> Oh, did you know, that the IDE reads all whats needed when it starts
> >> (components) and source-code when open the project.
> >> All changes which comes "from outside" are not considered.
> >> (Not tested in gambas3)
> >
> > You can click the refresh icon, and new file(s) appear in the
> > treebrowser, for example if you copy them outside of the IDE, at least
> > thats how G2 works.
> >
> > To be honest, I found it a bit strange too that all project files are
> > hidden in G3.
> > Simply a dir called 'src' or 'project' with all files visible, is what I
> > had expected.
> >
> > Regard,
> > Ron_2nd.

The project directory structure is something inherited from Gambas 1 and that
evolved step by step.

I decided that the user should be able to put any data file with any structure
in its project directory.

So I decided to use hidden files and hidden directories for objects generated
or internally used by the IDE, the compiler or the interpreter

Only the source files were not concerned in Gambas 2. But since Gambas 3, they
are put in an hidden ".src" directory, as they now can be organized in
directories.

But I don't see any problem at all with that: a file beginning with a dot is
not hidden at all at the system level. It is only a convention followed by
shells and file managers.

It is a way to warn the user not to touch these files.

And if I copy a project directory with a file manager, all hidden files and
directories inside are copied too - otherwise, change your file manager!

Benoît Minisini