[Gambas-devel] Non-free libraries and Gambas

Rob sourceforge-raindog2 at ...19...
Tue Mar 18 16:02:45 CET 2008

On Tuesday 18 March 2008 10:43, Daniel Campos wrote:
> As you are just creating an Interface in your GPL Gambas module,
> you're not revealing any of those big treasures stored in the
> secret hidden code, but take in account that you'll probably need
> to maintain that Gambas module using your own resources, I doubt
> Benoit will ever include it in the main tree, and fixing errors is
> more difficult as we can not test if the error is in the library
> code or in the Gambas environment.

Yes, that's a pitfall with any mixture of free and proprietary
software, which is why I try to use free software as much as
possible.  Believe me, if there were any other way, I'd be doing it
now too.

But given the choice between writing a Gambas component based on
dlopen() and just writing my command line tool to behave well on a
pipe, I think I'll go with the latter.

Thanks
Rob