[Gambas-devel] gambas2-gb-gui dependencies

José Luis Redrejo jredrejo at ...176...
Tue Mar 18 11:07:54 CET 2008

Hi, I'm about to upload the first applications made in gambas2 to Debian.
Before doing it I plan to upload version 2.3 and I have a remaining doubt
with the gb.gui component.

This component has as depedencies gb.gtk or gb.qt, but I don't like that
dependencies, as the install applications will install the first one in the
list, no matter if you are a kde or gnome user.
I.e. if the dependency is gambas2-gb-qt|gambas2-gb-gtk it will always
install gambas2-gb-qt unless you have already installed gambas2-gb-gtk.

I see four possible scenarios here:
- A kde user would like to install gb.qt
- A Gnome user would like to install gb.gtk
- A both desktops users would like to install gb.gtk & gb.qt
- Other desktops users would like to install gb.gtk as it's more used in
other desktops as xfce..

gb.qt dependencies are (in Debian) : libice6 (>= 1:1.0.0), libqt3-mt (>= 3:
3.3.8b), libsm6,  libx11-6, libxext6
gb.gtk dependencies are (iin Debian): libatk1.0-0 (>= 1.20.0),  libcairo2
(>= 1.4.0),  libglib2.0-0 (>= 2.12.0), libgtk2.0-0 (>= 2.12.0),
libpango1.0-0 (>= 1.18.4)

The best case would be install gb.gtk & gb.qt, and depending on the desktop
the application will start the right way, but that would make installing a
bunch of not-needed qt libraries for Gnome users and a bunch of not-needed
gtk libraries for Kde users.

I also thought of doing something like:
gb.gui depends on:
gambas2-gb-gtk (>= 2.0) | kdeaddon, gambas2-gb-qt | gnome-core,
gambas2-gb-gtk|gambas2-gb-qt
So, if you already have installed gnome-core (needed for gnome users) it
would install gb.gtk, and if you've already installed kdeaddon (needed for
kde users),  it would install gb.gtk. If you've not installed kdeaddon or
gnome-core it would install gb.qt. The problem here is that if you're a kde
& gnome user, it would install only gb.gtk and not gb.qt.

So, I've arrived to a dead-end, and need more ideas and/or help from you.

Regards.
José L.