[Gambas-devel] Problems compiling Gambas for ARM Linux

Benoit Minisini gambas at ...1...
Sat Jun 14 12:44:57 CEST 2008

On samedi 14 juin 2008, Andrew Barr wrote:
> On Sat, 2008-06-14 at 00:06 +0200, Benoit Minisini wrote:
> > Did you check the output of "make" and "make install"? No warning or
> > errors?
>
> No, as long as you use Scratchbox (which integrates QEMU and allows the
> execution of ARM binaries during the compile and install process), there
> are no problems during the build.
>
> FWIW, Debian has an ARM EABI port (called "armel") and they appear to
> have Gambas binaries, which I imagine are autobuilt by a buildd. Since
> one of the advantages of the EABI ("Embedded ABI") is that all ARM
> embedded binaries are compatible across Linux distributions, I decided
> to try those. It still appears to have problems finding symbols in class
> files, and I haven't had the chance to dig into the Gambas source code
> and figure out if there are any symbols missing from the gb.gtk
> component that might be causing this. I did notice that the gb.form
> component, which is what holds "Balloon" (it also complained about
> "Action" once), directly depends on gb.qt in the Debian armel build. The
> devices in question use X11, so installing Qt 3.x/4.x on the device is
> not impossible, just undesirable given storage and memory constraints.
>
> So really, it's a question of if Gambas can be made, either at build
> time or run time, not to depend on Qt at all. Mind you there is no use
> for the IDE, which I know has to have Qt, on an embedded device.
>
> I have not tested a non-GUI program, yet.
>
> > Is ARM a little endian or big endian CPU?
>
> It can be either but for the devices and distribution I am using it is
> little endian.

gb.form does not depend on gb.qt, but on gb.gui, a component that chooses
between gb.qt or gb.gtk according to the current running desktop: gb.qt is
chosen if you are running KDE, gb.gtk in the other cases.