[Gambas-devel] Problems compiling Gambas for ARM Linux

Andrew Barr andrew.james.barr at ...176...
Sat Jun 14 06:42:04 CEST 2008

On Sat, 2008-06-14 at 00:06 +0200, Benoit Minisini wrote:
> Did you check the output of "make" and "make install"? No warning or errors?

No, as long as you use Scratchbox (which integrates QEMU and allows the
execution of ARM binaries during the compile and install process), there
are no problems during the build.

FWIW, Debian has an ARM EABI port (called "armel") and they appear to
have Gambas binaries, which I imagine are autobuilt by a buildd. Since
one of the advantages of the EABI ("Embedded ABI") is that all ARM
embedded binaries are compatible across Linux distributions, I decided
to try those. It still appears to have problems finding symbols in class
files, and I haven't had the chance to dig into the Gambas source code
and figure out if there are any symbols missing from the gb.gtk
component that might be causing this. I did notice that the gb.form
component, which is what holds "Balloon" (it also complained about
"Action" once), directly depends on gb.qt in the Debian armel build. The
devices in question use X11, so installing Qt 3.x/4.x on the device is
not impossible, just undesirable given storage and memory constraints.

So really, it's a question of if Gambas can be made, either at build
time or run time, not to depend on Qt at all. Mind you there is no use
for the IDE, which I know has to have Qt, on an embedded device.

I have not tested a non-GUI program, yet.

> Is ARM a little endian or big endian CPU?

It can be either but for the devices and distribution I am using it is
little endian.

--
Andrew Barr
andrew.james.barr at ...176...