[Gambas-devel] 64 bits branch merge done

Benoit Minisini gambas at ...1...
Fri Jan 18 13:35:11 CET 2008

On vendredi 18 janvier 2008, José Luis Redrejo wrote:
> 2008/1/18, Benoit Minisini <gambas at ...1...>:
> > Hi,
> >
> > The merge has been done. We went back to:
> >
> > * /trunk, that is the next 3.0 version.
> >
> > * /branches/2.0, that is the next 2.1 version.
> >
> > So, from now, if you have to do your 64 bits fixes both in /trunk and
> > in /branches/2.0.
> >
> > Everyone is invited to test the /branches/2.0 on their 64 bits and 32
> > bits system (because 64 bits changes can break the old code), and report
> > any problem!
> >
> > Regards,
>
> Benoît, do you think it makes sense prepare new packages for the  new merge
> and allow Debian machines build the code in all the architectures? If I do
> it and it fails, reversing to i386 only will take some protocols and time,
> but doing it will let more users test it in different archs.
> Also, in the past I checked there were problems compiling gambas 1.0 in
> powerpc because of endianess isues, do you think this issues might have
> been fixed with the modifications for 64 bits?.
> And latest, but not least, if you think that packaging the merged version
> is a good idea, maybe you should officially release it as 2.0.1 or similar
> and more distros will do the same...
>
> Regards.
> José L.

I'd like a few user testing all the examples, the IDE and the database manager
before releasing the version (2.1, not 2.0.1). I can't do these tests myself
at the moment.

As for the endianess issues, the 64 bits port won't change them, this is an
orthogonal problem.

But it is just a matter of giving me a full ssh access to a big-endian OS so
that I can debug. Rob Kudla did that with its 64 bits Ubuntu system, and it
speeded up things.