[Gambas-devel] Gambas 2 roadmap

Benoit Minisini gambas at ...1...
Sun Jul 23 00:01:52 CEST 2006

On Saturday 22 July 2006 16:43, José L. Redrejo Rodríguez wrote:
> Hi, Benoît and others..
> Today gambas2 has been accepted into Debian experimental, what will
> allow  more people to test it. In the roadmap of the next release for
> Debian stable, the release team has purpose to do a general freeze of
> the distribution on mid October. I would bet it won't happen before the
> end of the year, but that's the prevision.
>
> By now, I don't dare including gambas2 in Debian because of the deep
> changes we see from one version to another, what usually make necessary
> recompile and changes in the source of the applications developed with
> gambas2. But, I would like to include it before the freeze of Debian
> testing, so gambas2 would be include in the next Debian release. I think
> this is important for many people, not only Debian users, but also a
> would bunch of Debian based distributions as Mepis, Knoppix, linspire,
> Ubuntu, LinEx, etc.
>
> So, this is my question: Do you think the bytecode and the language will
> suffer deep changes after October in the gambas2 development or the
> changes that could affect to this part could be done before that date. I
> don't mean the v 2.0 should be released before that date, only that the
> applications (and future distro packages) made with gambas, let's say
> 1.9.50, could be used with gambas 2.0 without recompiling or changing
> its source code.
>
> I know this is a hard question, and I am not asking it to be done, just
> want to know if that could be possible (and saying it would be
> great ;-). In the meantime I could continue sending the packages to
> Debian experimental
>
> Best regards.

Hi Jose,

At the moment, the only thing I want to add that will modify the bytecode is a
support for the ByRef VB keyword to help porting VB projects. As this is a
feature that was not thought from the beginning, it is a bit hard to add it
now. So it won't be immediate, but I can do that before October. Otherwise I
will do it after 2.0.

The other things that could modify the bytecode is something weird in the
language syntax that some users dislike.

I think we can decide that there won't be any bytecode change after October,
except if there is something very wrong in it.