[Gambas-devel] Gambas 2 roadmap

José L. Redrejo Rodríguez jredrejo at ...101...
Sat Jul 22 16:43:10 CEST 2006

Hi, Benoît and others..
Today gambas2 has been accepted into Debian experimental, what will
allow  more people to test it. In the roadmap of the next release for
Debian stable, the release team has purpose to do a general freeze of
the distribution on mid October. I would bet it won't happen before the
end of the year, but that's the prevision.

By now, I don't dare including gambas2 in Debian because of the deep
changes we see from one version to another, what usually make necessary
recompile and changes in the source of the applications developed with
gambas2. But, I would like to include it before the freeze of Debian
testing, so gambas2 would be include in the next Debian release. I think
this is important for many people, not only Debian users, but also a
would bunch of Debian based distributions as Mepis, Knoppix, linspire,
Ubuntu, LinEx, etc.

So, this is my question: Do you think the bytecode and the language will
suffer deep changes after October in the gambas2 development or the
changes that could affect to this part could be done before that date. I
don't mean the v 2.0 should be released before that date, only that the
applications (and future distro packages) made with gambas, let's say
1.9.50, could be used with gambas 2.0 without recompiling or changing
its source code.

I know this is a hard question, and I am not asking it to be done, just
want to know if that could be possible (and saying it would be
great ;-). In the meantime I could continue sending the packages to
Debian experimental

Best regards.