[Gambas-devel] Gambas 1.0.11 installation bug

Guido Ostkamp gambas at ...345...
Tue Sep 13 19:08:55 CEST 2005

Benoit,

> Gambas needs a symbolic link in /usr/bin to work. So /usr/bin/gbx for
> gambas 1.0.x and /usr/bin/gbx2 for gambas 1.9.x. Because of the
> '#!/usr/bin/gbx2 -x' stuff at the beginning of each executable.
>
> The other symbolic links are not needed, and may be removed in a next
> release.
>
> If you can find a way not doing this, I will take it. But until now, I
> found no way to avoid this symbolic link.

the '#!/usr/bin/gbx2 -x' stuff at the beginning is created by Gambas
itself when it creates the executable.

Gambas is compiled with the knowledge of what has been provided in the
"--prefix=..." option - this should be available as header file.

So, where is the problem, to have Gambas compiled in a way that it creates
'#!/home/testuser/local/bin/gbx2 -x' entries for the binaries, which would
be correct for my installation?

This is the way used by nearly all OpenSource applications which work with
'configure' - have it include the configured pathes in the binaries &
libraries for further use.

Another more generic way would be to use '#!/usr/bin/env gbx2' as somebody
else has already pointed out.

Regards,

Guido