[Gambas-devel] Gambas 1.0.11 installation bug

Rob Kendrick rjek at ...347...
Tue Sep 13 16:05:19 CEST 2005

On Tue, 2005-09-13 at 11:54 +0200, Benoit Minisini wrote:
> Gambas needs a symbolic link in /usr/bin to work. So /usr/bin/gbx for gambas
> 1.0.x and /usr/bin/gbx2 for gambas 1.9.x. Because of the '#!/usr/bin/gbx2 -x'
> stuff at the beginning of each executable.

Another solution, which is more elegant than this way away, is one I
suggested many months ago: Generate real executables that consist of a
stub that dlopens a shared object version of the interpreter, and passes
it the bytecode contained within.  This also gives you versioning of
runtimes and such in a much more elegant way.  The only disadvantage
this has is that you have to have a real linker available.  I don't
think it's all that likely that somebody developing software on their
machine, even if it is in Gambas, won't have one of those.

> The other symbolic links are not needed, and may be removed in a next release.
>
> If you can find a way not doing this, I will take it. But until now, I found
> no way to avoid this symbolic link.

The traditional way of getting around this is to use #!/usr/bin/env
instead.  (ie, #!/usr/bin/env gbx2, such that the gbx2 executable can be
anywhere, as long as it is pointed to by the PATH environment variable.)

--
Rob Kendrick <rjek at ...347...>