[Gambas-devel] Re: [Gambas-user] Re: BIG BUG in gb 1.9.19

Benoit Minisini gambas at ...1...
Sat Sep 10 12:56:42 CEST 2005

On Sunday 04 September 2005 13:27, danielcampos at ...45... wrote:
> Hi Benoit:
>
> Well, first of all, sorry if I was too rude, may be it was not a good day
> for me :-(

No problem :-)

> The main problem is that from time to time, there are changes (for example
> the EXEC and OPEN syntax) that seems to not have a practical sense, just
> may be to make it more beautiful, but breaks existing code, and also some
> changes related to the gb.qt component, just have broken the code I've
> written for gb.gtk. May be these changes should be reported while you¡re
> writting them, instead of waiting to release a version and just tell
> "surprise, I've changed that...".

You are right - Now I will try to tell the changes I want to make long before
I do them.

> I mean I'm writting the gb.gtk with many problems, as GTK+ just provides
> the half of help that QT provides to the programmer.

I know that your work is harder because of that lack of help...

> May be you need 10
> lines of code, but I need 100 to perform the same feature.

Actually, I think the harder thing is making the equivalent of the follwoing
QT feature: the event filters. This is a method in a class that catch all
events sent to an object (a widget), before the widget catches it, and that
can modify them. There is a global event filter too, that catches all event
sent to an application.

But I find QT GUi library and GTK+ library converging in features. So things
may become easier with time...

> So finding from
> version to version that I must change what I've done is frustating, and
> makes more slow not only the gb.gtk developement, but all the testing
> platform (for example the Debian packages) that we are trying to provide
> for Gambas.
>
> May be some mails from you while writting a new version, and a little
> roadmad: "I'll try to do it for the next version a) b) c)"... would be
> enough at this moment. May be we could help you too with a CVS service...
>
> Regards,
>
> D. Campos

I try as much as possible (I don't have a great knowledge of gtk+) not using
too specific QT features. So if you find something impossible to do in GTK+,
or too complicated, tell me. Maybe I can change things in QT component.

The aim is having exact similar behaviour. I can remove features in the QT
component if needed.

mailto:gambas at ...1...