[Gambas-devel] Re: Gambas and Visual Basic (plain text version)

Jean-Francois Perreault cmcpero at ...28...
Wed Mar 23 22:20:30 CET 2005

Rob wrote:

>A number of people have asked for the ability to call C functions from
>Gambas, or bemoaned the difficulty in using ActiveX/OCX components
>when translating VB code.
>
>Can you give me an example of a task you need to do from a Gambas app
>that you could solve with API calls to a C library, but can't solve
>either by running a program over a pipe with SHELL or EXEC or by
>opening files directly in /dev, /proc or what have you (as I did with
>my PVRec example a couple years ago?)  I think VB programmers in
>particular overlook this, since it's largely impossible to do under
>Windows.

just like that I'd say... ioctl , there are probably a lot of other
cases that apply but
I'm making a joystick interface class and it won't be complete without
ioctls

it's probably possible to have an external C program do some ioctl
operations , but , I don't know C well
enough and some ioctl operation only affect the device for the process
who did the ioctl so an external
program wouldn't work for that unfortunately

also I suspect there is a major performance penalty to doing that ?

in any case , just that you need to write a C program is already a
problem , if you don't know C you're stuck

Jean-Francois Perreault