[Gambas-devel] Re: Gambas and Visual Basic (plain text version)

Rob sourceforge-raindog2 at ...19...
Wed Mar 23 15:31:41 CET 2005

On Tuesday 22 March 2005 18:32, Jean-Francois Perreault wrote:
> language I've used a lot (I started on a C64) but the only problem
> I have with gambas is hitting
> limitations that can only be worked around with a component and I
> can't do that since I don't
> know C enough

A number of people have asked for the ability to call C functions from
Gambas, or bemoaned the difficulty in using ActiveX/OCX components
when translating VB code.

Can you give me an example of a task you need to do from a Gambas app
that you could solve with API calls to a C library, but can't solve
either by running a program over a pipe with SHELL or EXEC or by
opening files directly in /dev, /proc or what have you (as I did with
my PVRec example a couple years ago?)  I think VB programmers in
particular overlook this, since it's largely impossible to do under
Windows.

Rob