[Gambas-devel] Windows stuff

Daniel Campos daniel.campos at ...103...
Fri Mar 11 05:12:32 CET 2005

OK, Brandom, good job! I hope you'll publish a tutorial soon about this...

> The only stuff currently disabled is:
>
> Plugin stuff -- There isn't glue code in gtk for windows. Should be
> easy, probabaly possible to make a single file glue to drop in that
> doesn't require a gtk recompile. Really, since windows isn't picky
> about security like X, making most of the Plugin/Socket stuff nullop
> should just work(tm)

As I said in aprevious message, I made a program in VB that used a
foreign window, however I have got not the sources as I was not allowed
to copy them in my old company. But it is possible to emulate that
function in Win$.
However... what key word should I use to disable this in the Win$
compilation? ( #ifndef CYGWIN or #ifndef WINDOWS...?)

> TrayIcon -- Platform dependent crap. Daniel: Would you accept windows
> patches? :)

Yes, of course I accept patches, but as I said in the previous point I
just need to know the macro that I need to
disable it in the Win version (or to include the Systray code for
windows). However, note that I do not accept the
"crap" adjective for that code, it is freedesktop compliant.

> CWatcher -- I had to remove the filewatcher hook. Watching file
> descriptors on Windows is DIFFERENT. Daniel: Why do you need to
> override the default watch hook?

Talking properly, watching file descriptors in Windows is not possible,
it is just an API emulation that Win$ people added to their API because
they realized it was important after they released the first version
:-)) Well, the GTK+ component uses the MAIN hook, so I have to watch the
file descriptors myself, Gambas can not do it, look at the QT component,
it has the same "problem". However, I'm using the same stuff that Benoît
uses in the gambas watch code to watch the file descriptors, so I do not
understand why the gambas watching code works and not the code included
in the gb.gtk component. The DNS async code can not work if you remove
the watching code, sockets can not work, too...

> and the event loop doesn't have a sleep in it. (but it still doesn't
> take a bunch of CPU time... I don't know why...)

Mmmhh... another #ifdef that I should include.

> I tested the Notepad example so far. It crashes when you save, but the
> rest seems to work OK.
>
> Here's the console output, if anyone can tell me what is happening
> here, I'd like to know.
>
> DataObject Shell IDList Array Preferred DropEffect Shell Object
> Offsets FileName FileNameW Ole Private Data
> (gbx2): GLib-CRITICAL **: g_convert: assertion `str != NULL' failed

? I don't know yet, I have to investigate it.

> FNotepad.?.0: #43: Access forbidden
> WARNING: circular references detected
> FNotepad (1)
> WARNING: CCONTAINER_width not yet implemented

> WARNING: CCONTAINER_height not yet implemented
> WARNING: gButton::setCancel() not yet implemented

I have to write the code for CCONTAINER_width, height and setCancel(),
this is normal

> Of course, it's probabaly having something to do with one of the bits
> that doesn't work properly.
>
> I also had to stub two unimplemented functions (Daniel, why isn't this
> a compile error for you?)

Linux compiler allows to compile it, and then, if the function is
called, the program stops with an error (undefined symbol...) What are
these two functions?

> Well, that's about it, screenshots will follow soon.

Cool

> --Brandon

Regards,

D. Campos