[Gambas-devel] Re: Using GAMBAS for running Visual Basic projects

Richard Stallman rms at ...84...
Sat Mar 5 00:44:39 CET 2005

You seem to have considered two possible approaches: running VB byte
codes (which is hard since they are not documented), and "translating
the projects to GAMBAS projects".  Those words suggest sone kind of
hand translation of source code, which also sounds hard.

The natural approach, which I think would be easiest, would be to
write an alternate parser that reads VB programs and generates GAMBAS
byte codes.  How about considering that?

By the way, how come you're using a special byte code for GAMBAS?
Would it work to use Java byte codes?  I think that would be a lot
more convenient for the users, not to need a special byte code
interpreter.  In addition, it would be less work for you, since you
would not have to maintain the bytecode interpreter.  Does this idea
make sense?