[Gambas-devel] Re: Gambas-devel digest, Vol 1 #451 - 6 msgs

Yizhou He yizhou_he at ...143...
Thu Jan 6 07:11:50 CET 2005

Hi, guys:

I really like if Gambas runs on windows too.
Why so many people have to compile gambas on windows.
Isn't that write another version core in msvc a lot easier?
The IDE is writen in Gambas, that is not a problem, but still under
development. But the language is done. All we need is write a compiler
in msvc. Remember, make windows version and linux version Gambas code
compatible is good enough. which means the program writen in windows
version Gambas runs fine on linux version Gambas. I'm not sure how much
work is that, but I would not expect it will take more work than switch
form QT library to GTK. And I personally consider this will be more
important than add GTK support to Gambas.

Although treeview textbox will looks different, but that is fine. we
can do a lot about that later. But if we can do this, then gambas user
can easily write cross-platform program. All they need to do is
recompile. Image that, MS is having headache. Those programer knows VB
very well would like to take a few time to learn Gambas(Since it take
less time to learn than any other language) so that his program runs on
linux too.

after all, having user to install cgywin to run program writen in
gambas is not good experience. Agree?

Did I set the bar too high. Although I have contribute in code level.
But I personally consider set the bar as a kind of contribute.

I download a twiki and make it runs well. I'm starting to translate
Gambas wiki into Simplify Chinese. Is there any way that we can include
a offline Chinese version as help and distribute with source?

Yizhou He