[Gambas-devel] How can I help?

Rob sourceforge-raindog2 at ...19...
Thu Feb 24 18:24:02 CET 2005

On Thursday 24 February 2005 05:00, Benoit Minisini wrote:
> Otherwise, I know that Daniel Campos needs a port of the
> Gambas editor component to GTK+ - If you know GTK+.
> Or the KDE libraries could be intelligently "componentized" -
> If you know KDE well.

OpenGL would probably be a pretty popular component (maybe as a
subcomponent of gb.sdl.)  At the other end of the spectrum
(albeit no less difficult, probably moreso) would be...
gb.curses :)  But those are C ideas.  I had a great idea for a
C++ based component last night but now I've forgotten it.

For a first Gambas component, though, a component to manage Zip
files might be a better starting point, maybe gb.compress.zip.
If no one does that within a few months I'll probably take a
stab at it after my current big work project cools down.

More ambitiously, the interpreter and archiver seriously need to
be changed to produce ELF executables (e.g. a version of gbx
that can have archives appended to it, or as someone else
suggested, a .so version of gbx and a stub program to launch the
attached project) because I have run into 3 instances now where
I wanted to be able to put #!/usr/bin/mygambasprogram at the
beginning of a script and have my gambas program automatically
open it from the shell, and you can't do that while
mygambasprogram is itself a script.  (that, and the practice of
having a #! line at the beginning of a binary file is bad, IMO.)
But I'm not up to that level of understanding Gambas internals
yet, and it's possible no one is except Benoit.

Speaking of KDE, I looked into adding a Kicker applet class to
gb.qt.kde last week... it seems that kicker applets must be
shared objects, not regular executables.  There is a wrapper
applet allowing you to embed your own programs in Kicker, but it
is disabled by default and apparently unmaintained as I was
unable to get it to build. :P  I did get Daniel's systray code
working against gambas 1.9x though, I'll have to send a patch.

Rob