[Gambas-devel] A simplest component example

Benoit Minisini gambas at ...1...
Thu Sep 2 22:35:31 CEST 2004

On Thursday 02 September 2004 22:02, marcio.roger wrote:
> Greeting for everybody
>
> I'm interested ... no ..., I must, develop a comedilib
> (www.comedi.org) component to Gambas. For those who doesn't know
> what is comedilib, it's a library used to access measurement devices
> interfaces mainly used device for industry automation.
> Yes ... I know that this component could be useless for 99% of
> users, but for me it's very (and maybe other people) important and
> it's the way which I found to insert Linux at the company which I
> work.
> However I have a lot of doubts about develop Gambas Components even
> looking the Wiki. I tried to look the example, located in src/lib/
> but it doens't compile.
>
> So, I would ask if anyone has a ridiculous,very,very simple, source
> of a component, that works, which I can started. In the Wiki I found
> the topic "HowToProgramComponentsWrapping", but it's incomplete (I
> know that it's the worst way to develop a component, but I could
> help me to start and step by step I could adquire more knowledge
> about it and develop better and easy-to-use components).
>
> Thanks and sorry for my English mistakes.

Try with the gb.sdl component, it is very simple: only four source files.

> ps: Benoît Minisini, is there a reason for Gambas does not allow to
> use a a Boolean array or it's was not implemented yet? It's sees
> boolean[] as byte[] ...

Just lazyness. True Boolean[] needs special implementation of the array
methods.

> Is There something like thread in Gambas (or plans to create it) ?

No, and there is no plan to do it.

> I would like, in the future (after get more experience), to also
> create a QThread component.

Mmm... I'm afraid you don't see the difficulties :-) The interpreter was never
designed to be manage threads. Maybe it needs a complete rewrite to do that!

mailto:gambas at ...1...