[Gambas-devel] Translating Dutch 0.99RC1? (rel 25-oct) Information

Benoit Minisini gambas at ...1...
Sat Oct 30 16:31:23 CEST 2004

On Saturday 30 October 2004 03:53, Ron Onstenk wrote:
> I'm busy to translate but miss some points.
>

> Orginal English text:
> ---------------------
> 1 Translation language
> 2 Translation files
> 3 Translation
> 4 Translated string symbols do not match untranslated string ones.
> 5 Translate project
> 6 Translate
>
> Translate to Dutch in a direct way:
> ---------------------------------
> 1 Vertaling taal (sounds stupid in Dutch)
> 2 Vertaling bestanden (sounds stupid in Dutch)
> 3 Vertaling
> 4 Vertaalde string symbolen komen niet overeen met onvertaalde 1s
> 5 Vertalen project
> 6 Vertalen
>
> Translate to Dutch for common sense:
> ------------------------------------
> 1 Vertalen naar
>   Was happy to see in the translate form before combobox
>   else the Dutch text was 'Vertalings taal' or 'Vertaal taal' and
>   sounding stupid as commented.
>   If on other place it should be translated to something different.
>
> 2 Vertaalde bestanden
>   In English the second word means there are more then 1 file
>   For dutch it is reversed and back to English it is
>   'Translations file'
>   I belive it means 'Translated files' wich in Dutch is
>   'Vertaalde bestanden'
>
>   Note here: 'Translation' can be single or multiple meaning
>   in Dutch and have different Dutch words.
>   'Translation' -> 'Vertaling' 'Vertaald' in single context
>   and 'Vertalingen' 'Vertaalden' in multiple context
>
> 3 Vertaling
>   If it is in the translate form, the Dutch meaning of the box
>   is 'Vertalen naar' -> 'translate to' or 'Vertaald'
>   'Vertaling'-'Translation' meaning is translated to.
>
> 4 ? Vertaalde tekst symbolen komen niet overeen met onvertaalde 1s ?
>   ? Vertaalde tekst symbolen komen niet met onvertaalde overeen ?
>   ? Vertaalde karakter symbolen komen niet met onvertaalde overeen ?
>   ? Vertaalde en onvertaalde tekst symbolen komen niet overeen. ?
>
>   I can't make any thing of it.
>   String can mean a chain of characters  or the phrase in whole.
>   The chain as '14fred8-=gam?bas'
>   The phrase as 'Gambas is nice to use'
>   For both the word 'string' are different in Dutch translating.
>   Also the meaning of 'symbols' is not clear in the phrase without knowing
>   in what context it is used.
>   I have chosen the last one as best (and fit for space).
>
> 5 Vertalen project
>   This one was easy, found it on the caption of the form.
>   An other choice was 'Project vertalen' and the right one
>   should be 'Vertalen van project'.
>
> 6 Vertalen
>    I hope this is right, as single word there are in Dutch more
> translations 'Vertalen' is doing the job of translating
>
> Personal I belive the Translate form itself should stay untranslated.
> Imagine the user is Dutch and has a German system and want to French :)
> [...]

The interpreter uses the following environment variables:
- LANGUAGE if it exists (a list of preferred language)
- The language specified in LANG.
- Then, the libc function setlocale is used (man setlocale).

mailto:gambas at ...1...