[Gambas-devel] Translating Dutch 0.99RC1? (rel 25-oct) Information

Ron Onstenk ronstk at ...124...
Sat Oct 30 03:53:13 CEST 2004

I'm busy to translate but miss some points.

Orginal English text:
---------------------
1 Translation language
2 Translation files
3 Translation
4 Translated string symbols do not match untranslated string ones.
5 Translate project
6 Translate

Translate to Dutch in a direct way:
---------------------------------
1 Vertaling taal (sounds stupid in Dutch)
2 Vertaling bestanden (sounds stupid in Dutch)
3 Vertaling
4 Vertaalde string symbolen komen niet overeen met onvertaalde 1s
5 Vertalen project
6 Vertalen

Translate to Dutch for common sense:
------------------------------------
1 Vertalen naar
  Was happy to see in the translate form before combobox
  else the Dutch text was 'Vertalings taal' or 'Vertaal taal' and
  sounding stupid as commented.
  If on other place it should be translated to something different.

2 Vertaalde bestanden
  In English the second word means there are more then 1 file
  For dutch it is reversed and back to English it is
  'Translations file'
  I belive it means 'Translated files' wich in Dutch is
  'Vertaalde bestanden'

  Note here: 'Translation' can be single or multiple meaning
  in Dutch and have different Dutch words.
  'Translation' -> 'Vertaling' 'Vertaald' in single context
  and 'Vertalingen' 'Vertaalden' in multiple context

3 Vertaling
  If it is in the translate form, the Dutch meaning of the box
  is 'Vertalen naar' -> 'translate to' or 'Vertaald'
  'Vertaling'-'Translation' meaning is translated to.

4 ? Vertaalde tekst symbolen komen niet overeen met onvertaalde 1s ?
  ? Vertaalde tekst symbolen komen niet met onvertaalde overeen ?
  ? Vertaalde karakter symbolen komen niet met onvertaalde overeen ?
  ? Vertaalde en onvertaalde tekst symbolen komen niet overeen. ?

  I can't make any thing of it.
  String can mean a chain of characters  or the phrase in whole.
  The chain as '14fred8-=gam?bas'
  The phrase as 'Gambas is nice to use'
  For both the word 'string' are different in Dutch translating.
  Also the meaning of 'symbols' is not clear in the phrase without knowing
  in what context it is used.
  I have chosen the last one as best (and fit for space).

5 Vertalen project
  This one was easy, found it on the caption of the form.
  An other choice was 'Project vertalen' and the right one
  should be 'Vertalen van project'.

6 Vertalen
   I hope this is right, as single word there are in Dutch more translations
   'Vertalen' is doing the job of translating

Personal I belive the Translate form itself should stay untranslated.
Imagine the user is Dutch and has a German system and want to French :)
The Dutch meaning of the words is sometimes different to the German words.

The beautiful capacity of the English language makes that one word
can mean many things but also there are many words meaning the same.
For programming it is always easy to find a single word as caption
for a button, require many times in Dutch a longer or 2 words to be clear.
I had same style of problem, as non native German, with translate to German.
Thats my biggest reason to stay in English.
Programmers chose always words that are short for the button not realizing
that it will be bigger in other local languages.
Same for phrases it is possible to find/create a short one that fits.

So at the end I hope it is correct and for this 6 I did look in the German
translation to have a idea my choice was good enough.
I realize it is/can be a hard job to do it RIGHT, it looks so simple.

BTW. I found the object hint where the phrase is on the right side of
the 'Untranslated string' box. Haven't seen before, older version.
An other help can be to have a 3 language column as backup reference
during translating.
For me is German usefull but I must not forget to save first. :)

Top to bottom?