[Gambas-devel] Translating

Ron Onstenk ronstk at ...124...
Wed Nov 3 16:54:03 CET 2004

Hi Benoit,

Toolbax/Toolbar:
I found a inconsistency.
On the Tools->Preference->Other
For the 'Toolbox' options is says 'Animate Toolbar move'
What bar is animated?
Does it animate moving the window or the selected control
during drag of it?

For translating 'tools' are the tools you have in your toolbox by i.e. car repair.
In Gambas or VB it means 'Control' objects to use for placing on the form.
Should it not be named as 'Controls Box' or 'Controlbox' ?
However 'Controlbox' is a box we use to control the settings/behavior of
a i.e. machine, so I prefer 'Controls' more without 'Box'.

Comment:
It is used in two places.
In FEditor on the toolbar and means add Comment markers
In FTranslate it is use as place holder to show the comment
from the *.po file where msgid is used.
For 'Comment' I understand it as a text to explain something.
In the Editor however it means marking what is different as explanation.

For the Editor the translating is for
'Comment' -> 'Markeer als commentaar' (English: Mark as comment).
'Uncomment' -> 'Commentaar markering weghalen' (English: 'Comment marks remove')
'Comments' -> 'Commentaren' which is not a right word in Dutch
BTW: the last one was translated as 'Commentaar verwijderen' (en: 'Comments remove')
so the comment itself will be removed but not the marks :)

I did peek in the German translating
'Comment' -> 'Block auskommentieren'
'Uncomment' -> 'Auskommentierung aufheben'
'Comments' -> 'Kommentare'

and solved it for Dutch as

'Comment' -> 'Mark als commentaar'
'Uncomment' -> 'Commentaar marks opheffen'
'Comments' -> 'Commentaren' (however we don't speek the last n.)

For the Translate form the meaning is consitent with the content
it have, the text.

By using the trick to use 1 translating for several forms/class/module,
as is done currently, can be wrong for translating because the English word
translated to the local language can be different, in context it is used.

How to solve combined MSGID for several forms but different MSGSTR?

583 of 579 97% done.
I managed to get it in the KDE's i18n KBabel tree for assistence.
The last part are the big messages to do, they must make sence in
normal speaking Dutch, and proofreading by the Fabrice (and KDE team?)

Greets Ron