[Gambas-devel] Hit the users now, or forever be silent

Ahmed Kamal eng_ak at ...43...
Sun Jan 25 23:50:46 CET 2004

Well I am not really questioning the quality of Gambas, I just found that Hbasic is nearing ver1.0, and everyone was asking the main guy there to include it with KDE (who rulez this stuff), so I kinda felt it would take the ground off GB. This has of course nothing to do with the quality (I still beleive borland made tools that could beat the crap out of MS shitsoft, but that's not the way things go).

Anyway, since GB, is at 0.8 itself, I believe we should push the polishing and try to make it more recognized so that may be it will be the one of choice on default systems. I realize you may not care much, and may enjoy ur pace of development, but at least I believe that's important, and times like this make  the difference. Also the other day someone wrote a big listing of all main Linux software for new windoze converts, came to VB, mentioned nearly all basics (about 5) but GB, so I still have this feeling that we could use publicity.. (slashdot posting?)

Anyway, I couldn't compile HB myself either LOL, I am updating QT and trying again, so we'll see.
PS: Yes add code completion, it rocks :)
About Arabic translation, I am having my masters exams on Feb, so ... unless you're releasing v1.0 real soon, I'd rather start on March. If u're pressed tell me, I don't believe u added that many strings anyway :)

PS: What do u think about adding binary compatibility with Hbasic's components. I think it's all about standardizing the interafaces. Seeing all this work re-written every here & there, brings thoughts to ones mind...

regards

-----Original Message-----
From:	gambas-devel-admin at lists.sourceforge.net on behalf of Benoit Minisini
Sent:	Sun 1/25/2004 7:29 PM
To:	gambas-devel at lists.sourceforge.net
Subject:	Re: [Gambas-devel] Hit the users now, or forever be silent
On Sunday 25 January 2004 00:40, Ahmad Kamal wrote:
> I couldn't believe my eyes, HBasic looks so good (haven't tried it yet)
>
> Take a look
> http://www.kde-apps.org/content/show.php?content=10225
>
> It's also ver 0.9
>
> so way I see it, GB could really use some publicity now, or it would
> loose it's position as a really good language

I don't think that the quality of a language is a function of its publicity
and its version number. Elsewhere, Microsoft Visual Basic would be the best
language in the world.

Don't trust what you see! Go to the heart of things.

The author of HBasic made its language the way he wanted, and so I did. We
have different goals.

You are in the world of free software, and free software users must not judge
things with a consommer mentality, and understand the difference between
competition and emulation.

For example, as HBasic can do automatic instruction completion, I will be
pressed to it, but not because of the concurrency, but because it is cool,
and users want it.

Even if you think the two languages are under the same "Visual-Basic" banner
because of their external look, I'm sure they aren't. The technical
differences between the two projects are huge.

I am sure that Gambas and HBasic are totally different languages, almost like
Perl and Python! (I can't confirm, because the last time I downloaded HBasic,
I can't succeed in compiling it. Maybe I should retry?)

I'm sure that somebody can add a Visual-Basic like IDE to Perl and Python too.
Then, who will be the better ?

If others VB-like languages fell down, it is just because their developers
stopped worked on them, because they have no time, no more interest, or
because the project was badly designed... I don't know. But surely not
because they didn't have publicity!

If someone don't like Gambas, it is free not to use it. This is not a problem.
Of course, I made Gambas because in my deep I think this is the "right" way to
do a VB-like language. But I'm not completely stubborn, and I added many
features requested by users. And so Gambas becomes the proprietary of its
users too.

So if you want Gambas to have publicity, just do it :-) And if you want to
compare the audience of the two languages, go to the statistic pages of
sourceforge.

Regards,

P.S. Will you update the Arabic translation, Ahmad ? ;-) I find Gambas in
arabic beautiful!

mailto:gambas at ...1...