[Gambas-devel] About alternative graphical component

Rob sourceforge-raindog2 at ...19...
Wed Jan 7 00:04:05 CET 2004

On Tuesday 06 January 2004 17:14, daniel wrote:
> However, at least for UNIX systems, i'd prefer GTK or
> WXWindows, as wine must be linked in a very strange way,
> starting wine-server and a lot of stuff, that could make a
> nightmare starting a little application to say "hello world!"
> in an old computer!

I was actually being facetious; I think the idea of a "drop-in
replacement compatible with gb.qt's gambas interface" that talks
to win32 would be much harder than Jean-Francois thinks, and I
myself wouldn't really be interested in working on such a thing
without getting paid a lot. There's a *lot* of functionality in
Qt that you need to learn and integrate a lot of different API's
to duplicate using native Windows calls (and without using Qt
itself.)

wxWindows does seem a little closer to Qt so such a thing might
at least be a little easier, and you'd get that much closer to
Windows compatibility "for free".  I think we'll see a cygwin
version of gambas long before we see a native port, though,
since it's not merely a matter of having controls available,
there's all the back end stuff to do as well.  And someone would
have to do an OCX component and a Win32 API component to make up
for the lack of real pipes, and it really ends up being a much
bigger job than I'd want to do myself.  Maybe someone more
reliant than myself on Windows will be motivated enough, though.

Rob